Thursday, July 2, 2009

Social Entrepreneur on the Radio

I had the privilege to be asked to talk on air about social enterprise and my project, NationsHeart, this past week. There are a number of lessons I learned from this opportunity. Let's see if I can summarise them:

1. Be aware of events in your area onto which you can "hitch a ride".
Social Ventures Australia was having a launch in Canberra and we, NationsHeart Connect, were invited. We would have naturally thought that SVA would be invited to do a radio interview. No. We were. We had written a press release announcing our intention to support the launch and the radio station chose us probably because our story was much more interesting. Lesson: "Hitch a ride" on events happening around you to get your story on air!

2. Don't bend to the media's urgency.
I got a call from the radio station at 6.15am for a phone interview at 7.10am. Fortunately for us, I missed the call and didn't pick up the message until 8am. Thinking I had missed my opportunity, I called the station. The program manager questioned me and realised that the story I told was worth not missing. As a result, I was asked to come to the studio the next morning and do a live, in-studio, interview. I went much better prepared than I would have been had I answered my phone.

3. Don't expect a lot of time but you can help yourself greatly to get more time.
I was promise 5 minutes. I ended up being interviewed for 12 minutes. Why the additional 7 minutes? I tend to think it was the fact that my answers were crisp, clear and illustrated. I had prepared myself in such a way, I anticipated what might be asked me. My answers were not rambling, never-ending responses. On several occasions the brevity of my answers seem to catch the interviewer off guard. It kept him coming back for more, I believe.

4. Know your audience.
My first question to my team in preparation for my radio interview was: who is listening at 7.10am and what do they want to hear. The answer guided my preparation. Since that interview, a number of my acquaintances have told me they heard me and one said: I now understand what you do. I knew my audience.

5. Prepare the interviewer.
When I arrived at the radio station and was met my the program manager, the first thing I did is hand him materials which would give the interviewer a brief overview what I was on about. This material was read by the interviewer (I could see him through the window). When introduced to the interview, 5 minutes before I was live on the air, I gave even more pertinent information which I would want him to know. These two points were made during the interview.

6. Write down what you want to get out of the interview, in dot-points.
I went into the interview with a 5 point wish-list. I covered 3 out of the 5 points in the 12 minutes. So as the interview was doing a wrap on the interview I interrupted to bring one more point to the listeners attention: the actual website address. Without this the listeners would not have been able to go further in investigating us. It proved the most important thing I did. If not for the dot-point wish-list this would not have happened.

7. Feel comfortable in the studio.
I've done radio before. I always used headphones for broadcast. When I entered the studio I asked if I could us them (they sat connected and on the desk). I was told it wasn't necessary because we would not be taking phone calls. I insisted I could benefit from them and put them on. Headphones seem to help me centre my thoughts when I am on radio. I recommend trying them out but most of all do what feel comfortable.

8. Let your people know you're going to be on.
I told everyone I knew that I was going to be on air. It was a great feeling of support as I spoke and knew many were listening who were behind me. One of my supporters who is not the best technical person had to sit in her car to listen. Now that's encouraging.

9. Be ready for the opening question.
I wasnt ready for the interviewer's opening question. What was so surprising? Well he asked me the most difficult question I didn't expect: tell us about what you do? Huh? Why didn't I think I would be asked that question? I don't know but nontheless it caught me off guard. As a result I stumbled a bit at first and immediately the nervous-level went up 100%. Although I refuse to ramble on this surprising question, it took me about 60 seconds to settle back down and handle the interviewer. I guess my suggestion from this lesson is this: ask the interviewer what that first question would be. Oh yes, that would have been much better!

10. Say thank-you.
I have written, texted and twittered thank-yous to the interviewer after the radio broadcast. Afterall, I am thankful for the exposure. I have met people who have learned about us for the first time. I had someone even donate money to us as a result of the interview. Thank yous go a long way. Just do it.

Now tell me what you might have learned doing this...

Ronaldo
5 July 2005
Canberra, Australia

Ron's interview was live on-air interview at 7.10am Tuesday 30 July 2009 on Triple 6 ABC radio in Canberra; interviewer: Ross Solly breakfast show.


No comments:

Post a Comment